Wednesday 1 February 2012

Chapter 8 Complex Sample 1

Complex Sample 1 close up

I decided to move away from my 'estoile' and 'hoshi' star motifs for this Chapter and spent some time looking through my portfolio of work for
a different source of inspiration. I especially liked the pen and ink, Faberge star on my line drawing research sheet and tried to simplify it for stitch by using just the main shapes and minimizing the detail.
Finally I 'bit the bullet' and used two of my silk stash pieces for the bottom and middle layer, a hot pink dupion and a metallic shot taffetta. I sketched out my ideas deciding to combine a cut away layer with a semi bonded top layer (muslin) to give the design a three dimensional feel. I stitched around the diamonds with Pekinese stitch and a medium cotton thread (as shown on my outline stitch sample.) This was definitely a learning curve! The cotton was a struggle to get through the two layers which were both tightly woven fabrics and it was tricky to neatly follow the contours of the fairly small shape.
I ended up with an almost crocheted lace effect. Again, I think when attempting a more complex stitch, I need to sample, the thread, fabric and stitch to see if it will work on a bigger scale.

I decided not to totally bond the green trefoil shapes on the surface but 'tacked' with strips of web, so that they stood away from the rest of the design. The smaller trefoil on top is actually a shade darker than the larger trefoil beneath but the photograph doesnt do this justice.

3 comments:

  1. This is really lovely! Your colours are so vibrant...worth while, but hard I know, to dip into the 'stash'!! Lacy edging very effective. Great contrast throughout!
    I've been missing in action but hope to get back this weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Edith
    Was worried about you... So many people with colds etc.
    at this time of the year I can imagine getting VERY lost in action with your large family. I have one son, aged 30, who will descend on us next weekend and am already stocking the pantry. I am awed that you carve out 'me time' - do you have somewhere to hide and sew??!!
    Sian has just assessed my work to date and given me the green light. She knows we are supporting each other and thinks its great. I certainly need a sounding board for Chapter 8 .... really not sure.

    Stay warm (Its -7C here!)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This weekend for definite!! Yes it's been hectic. They are falling like flies around my feet! Hope you are staying warm in your awful weather. At least we are experiencing anything like the snow and freezing conditions that you are over in the UK.

    ReplyDelete